Every Royal New Zealand Navy Ship has a badge. It reflects the name of the ship, its meaning and what it represents to New Zealand. It is something simple, yet striking.
HMNZS Aotearoa is New Zealand's ship and we want every New Zealander to have a hand in the design of a badge that will be an enduring symbol of the ship. It will be displayed on plaques, the ship itself and on crew member uniforms. Your design can be hand drawn or electronically designed, it's up to you!
Have a look at the badges of our current fleet here. You’ll see examples of regional symbols, colours and items that reflect our rich, cultural heritage. You may want to focus on the name of the ship and what that means to you or focus on the capability of the ship and what she will deliver. Let the creativity flow.
A little stuck on ideas? Watch the video from the Chief of Navy who gives some top tips on what he's looking for in a badge.
How to enter
To enter the badge competition you MUST submit at least one official badge design for HMNZS Aotearoa.
Each design must be accompanied with a badge competition cover page (pdf, 200kb)
- Printable version for you to print out and draw on (pdf, 1MB)
- Badge design file (.eps) - this file can used with design software like Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
- Other badge examples - including a video from the Chief of Navy.
You can submit your entry two ways:
HMNZS Aotearoa badge competition
Royal New Zealand Navy
Private Bag 39997
New Zealand 6011
Please note: Where a physical copy of a design has been entered, it will not be returned to the entrant and will be destroyed when the competition is concluded.
Please note: Files must between 5-10MB and in either of these formats JPG, PDF and PNG.
- Competition opens, 5am on 1 July 2017
- Competition closes, 11.59pm on 1 December 2017
- Winner announced, 6 February 2018 (Waitangi Day)
The winning designer/s, selected by the Chief of Navy will receive the following:
- Domestic travel for two people to travel to the Devonport Naval Base and a tour of the facilities including lunch in the Wardroom.
- Presentation of a life-size replica of the badge by the Base Commanding Officer.
- A sea ride for two people around the Waitemata Harbour on a RNZN ship.
- When HMNZS Aotearoa is delivered to the Navy, the entrant will be invited to join the ship for an overnight passage and stay in the VIP cabin.
If the final badge design selected is an amalgam of two or three submitted designs, then each of the winners will receive the prize package above.
Terms and Conditions
Please make sure you have read and understood all the terms and conditions before entering.